Monday, February 14, 2011

Steak En Croute + Bordelaise Sauce

Steerman's Quarters - Empress Lilly, Walk Disney World Shopping Village

(Bordelaise Sauce) - Chefs de France, French Showcase, EPCOT. Gulf Coast Room, Contem
porary Resort.

History: The Empress Lilly was a boat at the shopping village that was one of the first breakfast character dining experiences. Steerman's Quarters was for diner only. It was one of a select group of FL restaurants that served certified Angus beef. The boat opened in 1977 and closed in 1995, reopening as Fulton's Crab House in 1996. Chefs de France is still in buisness while the Gulf Coast Room has been replaced (see older post for more Gulf Coast Room history).

This recipe was actually fairly easy despite it's appearance as difficult. It was good, but would better with a few alterations. First, I didn't have puff pastry ( I thought I did when I started) so I used phyllo dough instead. It would be better with puff pastry. Next, it's a HUGE honking mound of meat...I would make them smaller. The Bordelaise sauce that you put on it takes 2 hours to simmer...something I didn't pay attention to ahead of time, so mine simmered for about 45 min. I give it 3 mickeys, but with the changes I would up it to 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment