Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stewed/scalloped Tomatoes

 Contemporary Resort Banquets - Contemporary Resort

Yet again, a pleasant surpise! I didn't know what this would turn out like. It calls for either canned tomatoes or fresh ones. I used fresh ones. It asked for 6 tomatoes but by the time I cut up 3 I knew 6 would be WAY to many...maybe 6 would be ok if they were small. My tomatoes were not juicy, and the recipe called for the juice too, so I added about 3/4 cup of water to get it all soggier. It worked. The bread was so easy to toast...I used normal sandwich wheat bread. This recipe would be amazing on a cold, winter day. Since it's a 5 mickey recipe, here's how to make it!

3 slices bread
4 T margarine
1 small onion, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
2 T flour
1 can (16 or 17 oz) tomatoes, chopped, or 6 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 t sugar
1/8 t salt
1/8 t dried sweet basil
1/8 t dried thyme
White pepper to taste

Cut bread into cubes and toast in oven at 375 F for 5 min. Heat margarine in a saucepan and saute onion and celery until tender. Add flour and cook 3 min. Add tomatoes, including juice, and seasonings. Bring to a boil an simmer, covered, 5 min. Spoon tomatoes into a buttered 3-cup casserole. Sprinkle toasted bread on top. Bake at 325 F for 10 min. 

No comments:

Post a Comment