Sunday, May 1, 2011

Deep Dish Apple Pie (with added humor)



Rose & Crown Pub & Dining Room
Farmers Market
The Land Grille Room - EPCOT

The recipe doesn't call for the mickey in the middle, but how could I resist? What it does call for is for the apple to be cut into 16 pieces, but it doesn't specify which type of apple. I used granny smiths. I also used my handy-dandy apple-peeler-corer-slicer. Yes, I have one. You can stop laughing now. I didn't buy it, I inherited it (along with some other bread tubey things I have no idea how to use). I figure if you've got, use it! It makes nice thin slices that cook up very well for an apple pie. Being the strange texture person that I am I also had to go back inside the apples and make sure that the hard part of the apple where the seeds sit was completely removed...having that hard apple part in my mouth just ruins a good pie for me. Still, it was quite the yummy pie. It had no crust recipe, so I made homemade crust (way better than frozen store ones by the way, though more time consuming). I normally am a good fluter. Not fluter as in the instrument. I took flute lessons as a child for my mom (she played it) and after 4 lessons I begged to stop because I still hadn't made a noise out of that metal object. No, I mean fluting as in making the edges of the pie all pretty. What happened with this pie I have no idea, but my fluting was a phenomenal failure. Besides the aesthetic appeal (get it...peel...oh, I'm on a roll tonight), it was a simple, good recipe. It was the apple of 4 mickey eyes (or should I say 2 mickeys since one mickey would have 2 eyes, making 2 mickeys 4 eyes.... oh well, you get the point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment